Kings Highway Conservation District
Our neighborhood was the first of its kind in Dallas and the second conservation district to be formed in the state of Texas. In 1988, when a large ugly gray box of a building was constructed on Kings Hwy in the 1100 block as apartments, it was the first step toward compromising the neighborhood’s integrity. It did not even face the street. There was no style, or grace, or continuity with the rest of the neighborhood. It just stuck out like a sore thumb.
In 1986, a new classification of neighborhoods was adopted, known as the Conservation District. To protect the fabric & soul of their neighborhood, neighbors banded together and created the Kings Highway Conservation District. On the 23rd of March 1988, Assistant City Attorney, Cynthia Holden Steiner signed the ordinance, & it was approved by Mayor Annette Strauss & the Dallas City Council. The City of Dallas had its first conservation district.
Register of Historic Places
It is also important to note that Kings Highway, from W. Davis to Montclair, (900 block through the 1500 block of Kings Hwy) is listed in the National Register of Historic Places because of its assortment of early turn-of-the-century buildings that uphold the area’s original character. It was listed to the registry on 17 Jun 1994.
Non-Profit Status Granted
South: Davis, (skirting to north side of the shops)
North: Southside of the homes on Stewart
No homes on Lausanne, & both sides of Wyndomere to south of Stewart